Friday, May 27, 2011

A Woman at the Well


I been doing this forever, God, turning hours into days
And I know I’m only worth what a man sees fit to pay
Don’t even whores need bread and water,
even whores too tired to pray?
I guess not.  I’m just a woman at a well

I wear bells to hear them jingle
Like the laughter of a child
That I will never hold against me
Never kiss them as they cry

And I wear veils because they cover
All the things I want to hide
All the scars the wars the battles
All the weary working miles
Dear God, I’m tired. 
I am the woman at the well.
                                             
I clean the house and pay the bills,
take out the trash, wipe up the spills
Drive kids to school and football games
and home again…

After the kids are bathed and fed,
the dishes washed, school papers read,
I take a shower, climb in bed and try to feel
Alive.

Alarm clock rings, I’m out the door
It’s barely quarter after four
To beat the rush and be the one 
who offers more
Coffee for breakfast, and for lunch,
served over schedules, forms and such,
I don’t have time for nine to five
I just survive. Im just a woman.
at a well.

And I wear suits because they cover
All the things I want to hide
All the worries and the hurries and
All the weary working miles
I have to fake it til I make it, but oh
God, I am so tired.
I’m just a woman,
Just a woman at a well.

I been sitting by this well for nearly fifty seven years
And in all this time of waiting Lord I’ve cried a million tears
Thinking surely someone somewhere’s gonna see me sitting here
But all they see is just a woman
A woman at a well

No comments:

Post a Comment