Monday, July 4, 2011

Simple Mans Simple Prayer

I love this canyon country
Love the sacred in the land
Watching a new calf learn to stand
The acrid smell of burning brands
Soft feel of leather in my hands
And I am nothing - just a man
But Lord, I love this land

I love standing on a rimrock
With an updraft in my face
As I thank God for this time
And I thank Him for this place
And I think that there is nothing
Like an eagle on the wing
The promise of early spring
The best horse in the string
 I know I’m just a simple man
But Lord, I love this land

I love sitting on the front porch
When the thunder rolls to town
Lightning flashing all around
And the rain comes pouring down
Broken canyons, broken hills -
Broken people.. God, and still
I know I’m nothing - just a man
But Lord, I love this land
I love to see Old Glory
Snapping proudly on the breeze
And that lady in the harbor
That calls across the seas
Saying “Come, share in our bounty
In our fields of fruit and grain
In the grassy covered plains
And the crimson colored stain
that flowed so every man could be free
even me
and I’m humbled.. I’m just a man
But God, I love this land





No comments:

Post a Comment